message board

You are not logged in.

#1 05-09-2007 20:34:50

Old Lob
Administrator

Please Talk!

Hi...please have a go...it's not as difficullt as it looks! I'll be looking out for you..
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa40/Lord_Lob/eyes.gif

Digging for Victory

#2 27-09-2007 20:22:20

Slimpickins

Re: Please Talk!

Hi Old Lob.... I'm kinda new to this gardenin' lark. Any tips on growing good stuff in the greenhouse I've just inherited?     
Look forward to hearin' from y'all.........Slim

#3 02-10-2007 15:52:48

fergus
Administrator

Hi Slim,
Don't ask Old Lob about greenhouses - he drops things on top of his plants.
I'll answer your query:
What size is greenhouse? Is it heated? Is it glass? Orientation/away from shade etc?
How have you set up staging/floor area? What plants do you like - flowers/vegetables/foliage? Are you aware of good hygene?(not for you - for the greenhouse.)
Just some routine questions til we get a feel for it.
Cheers
Fergus smile

#4 09-10-2007 19:25:19

Slimpickins

Hiya Fergus,
Greenhouse is 8x6', aluminium frame with glass and I've got it well away from house in plenty of sunshine. Roughly N-S, have one side with bench other open soil & slabs up middle.
I like vegetables & hope to grow tomatoes, cucumber etc.
Can I grow anything thro' thu winter?
cheers y'all
slim

#5 27-10-2007 23:35:07

Old Lob
Administrator

I admire your idea, for me winter is a time to be sitting by the fire looking through seed catalogues hoping my friend will buy too many seeds and pass the excess to me...and not to leave it too late as he normaly does! 

Anyway the following are well worth trying:
Potatoes grown in a big flower pot or bucket in the greenhouse. The same goes for spinach, kale, and some varieties of lettuce . Check the seed merchants' catalogues for suitable varieties.

Certain kinds of onion work well from an autumn sowing as well and you'll get a much earlier crop than if you'd waited till spring.
Other possibilities are cabbage, bok choy, Chinese cabbage, and most root crops. Leeks, beets, carrots, turnips, parsnips, radishes, and rutabagas (know what they are?!!) can be sown for winter harvest.

Failing all that there's always Imries!

Digging for Victory

#6 31-10-2007 19:49:11

fergus
Administrator

Thanks Old Lob. I know what you mean about the seeds. By the way the NVS Scotland forum day is on Sat.17 Nov thro in Loanhead. Do you want to go.
Also to Slim - Old Lob's done my job for me. Do you have any comeback questions? If not good luck & keep in touch.
Cheers
Fergus

#7 02-11-2007 07:59:16

Old Lob
Administrator

I would love to go but unfortunately will be unable to go. Looking forward to dancing with you tomorrow night though!!

Digging for Victory

#8 13-11-2007 23:27:49

fergus
Administrator

What happened to that dance you promised me?

#9 05-08-2010 03:50:10

tommy1601

Hi Old Lob,
I love to talk, I have been singing the praises of BCHS flower show. The people I am talking to are getting back to me and saying they cannot get info on this website for dates, venue etc. The site looks kinda abandoned, 2007 seems to be a productive year for the website. Since 2007 not a lot seems to be happenning.

Board footer